Monday, November 14, 2011

OAuth

With the upcoming Devoxx conference, I did some reading last weekend. With Fri Nov 11 as a national holiday in Belgium - because of the end of World War I - I had some extra time. Looked a bit into most recent development around HTML 5 and Android development.

Quickly I ended up diving deeper into REST. Must confess that I was very WS-* minded and was not really impressed by REST initially. But with the incompleteness of WS-* and the success of REST, I'm changing my mind.

So I ended up browsing through the book "Restful Java with JAX-RS". This REST stuff triggered me into looking into different REST API's, including the one from Dropbox. And Dropbox security is based on OAuth, which triggered me to dive (back) into OAuth.

Looked for an OAuth book on Safari and Amazon, but none (yet?) avaialble. So I ended up re-reading chapter 9 of the the book "REST in practice". By the way, very good book, I like it. Some great links while looking around:
- The introduction on OAuth
- Good OAuth introduction by Yahoo
- Google Oauth Playground, so see OAuth live in action

While looking into OAuth, I started making the comparison with WS-Security and SAML in particular. With OAuth, no XML signing nor XML canonicalization, the option to use HMAC instead of keypairs and certificates. So simpler, but not simple!

Note: one of my I8C colleagues (Kim) just finished project on DataPower appliance to implement OAuth support

Author: Guy

No comments:

Post a Comment